I am happy to say I’ve been feeling twitchy again — I have the writing bug. I hope that means I’ll be carving out time to post here more often moving forward. I do have some fun ideas and look forward to sharing them. And I’ve been crazy with bookmarking some gems for you this week so onward with the ol’ Friday Favorites!
P.S. Do stay through to the end. The Video Spotlight item is a real gem.
WHAT I READ
- At long last, a museum dedicated to Broadway is opening in New York. What took so long?!
- There is a boozy Disney brunch coming to Los Angeles and to say I am HERE FOR IT is an understatement.
- I read this article which lead me to discovering that Trader Joe’s has a PODCAST! And I am now OBSESSED with it.
- I just finished the book Educated by Tara Westover. It was outstanding. Compelling. Give it a read. You won’t believe the life she’s lead.
OTHER BLOGGERS & INFLUENCERS
- Social Media Club LA is taking a “field trip” to the Dodgers/Cubs game on June 13! It’s $75 to attend but it includes all-you-can-eat concessions, guys. It looks to be a ton of fun — click here for more info and to get a ticket or four.
- I don’t know if I am a weirdo for finding this stuff super interesting but maybe it’s in light of what my Father went through recently — anyway, Lizz Porter sent me this link to a breakdown of what dialysis is like for her and so many. Really interesting and I think it’s important to just have an awareness of these things. She is remarkably brave to withstand all she is going through, by the way. This post is from 2017 but she is still going through it.
- Tomorrow is National Best Friends Day and so I found this piece from Mayim Bialik to be quite wonderful. Were you taught you could only have one best friend?
- I am intrigued by this Bloody Mary Tomato Soup. But, like, can I add vodka to soup? Asking for a friend.
EARLIER THIS WEEK
- I found this 90s playlist on Spotify – I am so into it!
- I watched Ask Dr. Ruth on Hulu. MIND. BLOWN. That woman is a mother-effing HERO. I know we all know her as the petite, delightful sex doctor but did you know, for example, she was a SNIPER in the Israeli Army? That is some seriousness, y’all. It’s a must-watch. I highly recommend it.
- There are approximate 900 people running for the democratic presidential nomination. I do not know whom I am voting for yet. To be frank, I wish the party would pick a horse to throw all its weight and money behind and just work it’s G.D. ass off to defeat Trump, but I guess I’m not gonna get that wish pre-primary. Anyway, like I said, I do not know whom to vote for yet but I do know I very much like Mayor Pete. I like other candidates too but his run seems somewhat monumental and historic, so I bought a hat. Just wanted to share that with you.
PR & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Soap Opera News interviewed an actor I am working with, Hudson West (“General Hospital”) – take a look!
- An influencer with 2.6 MILLION followers launched her own fashion brand — only to sell a mere 36 units. My friend and colleague Jack Appleby wrote a tremendous Twitter thread on it (he got quoted in several outlets for it, too!) and you should read and learn.
- Instagram is going to allow advertisers to promote branded content from influencers as ads in the feed and in Stories – regardless of whether you’re following them. I know brands like us to believe in these trusted voices but I’d still rather choose which voices. So not a fan of this tactic.
- There are some really sassy, wonderful celebrities out there, speaking up for mankind. Specifically, in recent days, Avengers. Please enjoy:
My moms a lesbian. I think I turned out ok. And the activities she chooses is to help the homeless and people suffering from mental illness. I admit I’m not perfect but atleast I was never a judgmental hypocrite! Im sure you dont speak for most Catholics.Have a nice day 🖕🏼 https://t.co/S5t47A170n— Dave Bautista (@DaveBautista) June 2, 2019
Wow! Cool initiative, fellas!! Just a thought, instead of ‘Straight Pride’ parade, how about this: The ‘desperately trying to bury our own gay thoughts by being homophobic because no one taught us how to access our emotions as children’ parade? Whatta ya think? Too on the nose?? https://t.co/gaBWtq2PaL— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) June 5, 2019
- I leave you now with this glorious PSA from George Clooney. Please join the fight to stop dumbfuckery.