“New Years Resolutions” is like a dirty word at this point, right? I have seen a lot of the trends that bloggers latch onto continue into this new year. People choosing a “word of the year” or “phrase of the year.” I’ve also noticed a lot of “anti resolutions” pledges such as “I will NOT fly on a plane in 2018 because I’m afraid if flying.” I guess it is easier to predict what you won’t do than to commit to what you will?
Thus my 2018 resolve is a continuation of sorts as well. In 2017 I promised to more often practice using the word “NO.” This was not about being negative, it was about self-care and not being a pushover. About standing up for myself. Sometimes I was successful but sometimes I was not and I am not satisfied with that — I feel in my heart that I still need a little more “no” in my life. So (!) it made no sense to move onto a new vow for this year when I felt so tepid about last year.
In addition, I have made a list of goals for the year as I’ve always done in years prior. Don’t expect these to be life-changing acts or profound philosophical efforts. They are just for fun. In 2018, I have picked out 8 things I want to do:
- See ALL of the FAST & FURIOUS movies. I saw the first one many, many years ago and never saw another. All of my friends love this series so I may have to host a marathon. (Or two. Or three. There’s like 19 of those movies.)
- Read more. The Goodreads goal on record is 20 books in 2018. I only read a dozen books in 2017. Abysmal.
- Clean out my g.d. apartment. My tiny one bedroom is becoming far too cramped with crap.
- Make a great soup. I have a crockpot I don’t use enough. This recipe from Spoon, Fork, Bacon sure looks tasty.
- I named a number of brunch spots I want to try this year, so these.
- Take a solo vacation. I did that last year — it was the BEST.
- See an eye doctor to update my prescription and wear my glasses more before the migraines take me away forever.
- Visit museums.
Chris Lam says
I finally watched Fast 8. The only good thing about it is the burgeoning friendship between The Rock and Jason “Needs a New Agent Because He Picks Bad Movies and Should Be A-List Years Ago” Statham. Statham and Karl Urban are the worst movie pickers ever; and Vin Diesel continues to get work.