Greetings from my cozy perch with extra leg room aboard Alaska Airlines, flight 1404 to New York. At least, that’s when I’m starting this post. The world changed for me when I lost weight and could suddenly sit in an airplane seat comfortable and put the tray-table down. I find I am deeply productive on planes as a result, and that once I am over my initial anxieties about take-off, I look forward to the isolation solo travel brings. (UPDATE: I am finishing this post from an even cozier perch – my hotel bed in Manhattan.)
And in other news, I have added a new section to my “Friday Favorites.” Something a little more professionally relevant to me and, hopefully, informative to you.
WHAT I READ
- I started a new book called The Power, recommended to me by a friend. In its not-so-distant future setting, a power is awakening in women, throwing the world into conflict. What if women had all the power? I am enjoying it.
- Great article about something I enjoy: dining out alone.
- Looks like” TanaCon” was a total flop. Color me shocked. (Read: Not at all.)
OTHER BLOGGERS & INFLUENCERS
- Lindsay wrote a beautiful letter to her daughter on her first birthday.
- This post from Pajiba — “There has never been anything false about hope.”
- WOW. Presley’s recipe for a Burrata sandwich wins my heart.
PR & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Facebook is testing a feature that allows users to mute a certain keyword for 30 days. Good way to avoid spoilers!
- There is a Google Chrome extension that endeavors to change any photos anywhere of Donald Trump into kittens.
- Facebook is also exploring a subscription model for Groups that allows Admins to charge a membership fee. I don’t know how I feel about that on the heels of Mark Zuckerberg’s “Facebook will always be free” testimony before a Senate committee. There would certainly have to be a strong, proven ROI for me to fork up money for such a thing. But I doubt I would.
- What’s with the latest PR trend in which publicists are jumping ship from their giant, illustrious PR agencies, to set up their own boutique agencies?
- Tips on how to curate your Instagram Stories highlights. Right here.
- And speaking of Instagram, in case you’re sleeping under a rock, they rolled out a long form video content platform, IGTV.
EARLIER THIS WEEK
- I discovered a Bloody Mary that is now my favorite Bloody Mary. And I also tried Scottish Rarebit. Read that carefully, because it is NOT Scottish RABBIT.
- Somehow, of all things, I got hooked on Gilbert Gottfried’s podcast. This week I loved his interview with film composer Michael Giacchino.
- Thursday night, I saw the Broadway play, Boys in the Band, and it was AMAZING. AH. MAZE. ING.
- I attended a screening of a documentary called Three Identical Strangers, and it BLEW. MY. MIND.
- Colbert. Fallon. Conan. The trifecta of late night hosts together for some short-n-sweet Trump mockery.
- I enjoy this web series, “The Hot Ones,” in which the host and a celebrity guest chat whilst eating progressively spicier chicken wings. It’s taught me a lot about the Scoville Scale. Great, new episode with Natalie Portman: