Puppy love INDEED. Really huge news, everybody. I AM GETTING A PUPPY. I have held out for a really long time, waiting to ensure that I’d be able to properly care for one and it’s finally that time. He’s a sweet little guy – but still very much a puppy. I know I’ll have a lot to learn but I am ready for it. And I am SUPER excited. My experience with Dog Cafe LA has been really lovely and I encourage everyone to check them out. Not only for rescues, but you can pay $15 just to sit in their “cafe” and play with puppies for an hour — it’s amazing therapy. And lord knows, cheaper than my actual therapist.
But now, onward with the Friday Favorites as I sit here glowing with excitement.
WHAT I READ
- I just finished the most unique, marvelous book of poetry called “Stuff I’ve Been Feeling Lately” but Alicia Cook. I don’t how to explain the structure — it’s inspired by those old school mixtapes we all used to make. Remember those?
- I’m also reading a fantastic book of essays by Rebecca Solnit so I was excited to submle upon this essay by her, “How to be a Writer.”
- Not to totally nerd out, but I thought this study about HULU viewing habits was really interesting.
- You remember Meredith Viera of “The View” and TODAY? Love that she is launching a program to finance female documentarians.
- And just to bring it home, how about a list of amazing breakfast spots from ZAGAT? I am here to try them all. Let’s go!
OTHER BLOGGERS & INFLUENCERS
- Alyssa tried a new Asian fusion restaurant that looks DELICIOUS!
- Aimee’s concert photos from P!nk’s Beautiful Trauma tour are, well, beautiful.
- Jessica and I went to Masters of Taste and it was THE BEST — as it always is. I’m posting my favorite dishes at @HollywoodBrunch all week!
EARLIER THIS WEEK
- Last time, I posted about my excitement for Chef Ludo’s new digs and I got to try it! It was so good, I’m going back today.
- Facebook lets you tie a charitable fundraiser to your birthday now, and I am incredibly proud to share that I raised over $1000 for EVERYTOWN FOR GUN SAFETY, a supremely important cause that I am super passionate about.
- My parents took me up to Santa Ynez for some wine tasting on my birthday and it was a perfect (drunken) day. If anyone in LA has never been, I highly recommend the day trip.
- There was an incredible amount of outrage over Michelle Wolf’s White House Correspondents Dinner speech. Here’s the thing, I’m actually not a big fan of hers. It has NOTHING to do with her humor, though — she’s very funny. For me, I just find her delivery style kind of grating. To each their own. THAT SAID, I find the WHCA’s behavior insulting. Do your research, folks. Whats she delivered at the dinner was pretty much in line with her typical shtick. So suck it up. And I think her behavior following the “uprising” has been excellent.
- And a little levity — please enjoy this stupendous performance from Panic! At the Disco on an episode of “Ellen” this past week: